Get ready for the 2019 Pinewood Derby!!!!!!!!!!!
If you haven’t received your car yet (they were distributed at the December pack meeting) contact your Den leader to arrange to get it. Car RegistrationWednesday January 23, 6:00-8:00PM
Location: St. Gregory’s Church
Friday January 25, 6:30PM
Location: Wilmot Gym The link below has the full Pack rules, which supersede any rules listed in the car kits. Please pay particular attention to the length, width, height and weight regulations. They will be checked at registration.Please print and read the full rules to keep our check-in night fast and easy, and to prevent your car from getting eliminated!Key Registration Information
- Registration on Wednesday, 1/23, 6:30-7:45 pm at St. Gregory Church…across the street from Wilmot…NOT at Wilmot School. (The race on Friday night is at the Wilmot Gym).
- Bring your checkbook. Pinewood registration night is the night when you pay your dues for the upcoming scout year. You are required to pay dues when registering your car. Checks only - $70 made out to Cub Scout Pack 50. (Webelos 2nd year fees are $35 since they leave our Pack after Blue and Gold in February. This will keep their Scouting registration active as they transfer to Boy Scouts)
- All cars must be registered and impounded on Wednesday night to be eligible to race and receive awards. Scouts need not be present during Wednesday registration, but must attend the race on Friday.
- In addition to trophies for being one of the three fastest cars in each den, every scout will get a medal in one of the following judging categories: Craftmanship/Quality of Work, Design/Creativity, Paint Job/Uniqueness or Scouting/Patriotic Theme
- Friends & Family Races
: All race rules apply to cars entered in the Friends and Family races, including check-in on Wednesday night. There is no registration fee. Car kits are available at the Highland Park Scout Shop, and the Ace Hardware and Craftwood Lumber also usually have kits. Jessica McGahan (email@example.com
) has kits available for $5.
- Follow the rules!!! Pay particular attention to the rules, a complete rule sheet is attached, but here are some key ones:
- No more than 2 3/4 inches wide, 7 inches long, 5 1/4 inches high.
- Weight not to exceed 5 ounces. The post office has a self-service machine in the lobby (open 24 hours) that you can use for weighing. If you want to add extra weight during check-in you must bring your own.
- Use BSA approved wheels and axles that came in your pinewood kit.
- The front of the car may not have slots to improve the starting position of the car. The front edge of car must touch the starting pin in the center of the track.
- All four-axle points must be visible within the axle grooves.
- Dry graphite is the only lubrication allowed on wheels and axles
- The bottom of the car must clear the raised lane keeper on the track. A 3/8 inch clearance is required. If you add weights to the bottom of the car you should recess them.
- The wheel track (measured between the inside edges of the wheels) must be at least 1 3/4 inches to clear the width of the raised lane keeper.